Friday, April 17, 2009

Gate of Dawn in Vilnius


Hi everyone! My name is Rugile,I'm from Gabijos gymnasium,Vilnius.I want to present Gate of Dawn in Vilnius

Gate of Dawn (Lithuanian: Aušros Vartai) was built between 1503 and 1522 as a part of defensive fortifications for the city of Vilnius, the capital of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. The name-sake for the gate was the borough of Ostry Koniec ("sharp end") to which the gate initially led. It has also been known as the Medininkai Gate as it lead to the village Medininkai south of Vilnius. The Gate of Dawn is the only remaining out of nine city gates, while the others were destroyed by the order of the government at the end of the 18th century. My information is quite short,but I expect you enjoy it! And also I will attach some photos

No comments:

Post a Comment